Thursday 19 September 2013

Yinka Shonibare: Wind Sculptures





Standing more then six meters in height and painted in Shonibare's trademark baltic patterns, replicating Dutch Wax fabric, "Wind Sculptures" is a majestic presence within Shonibare's "Fabrication" collection. The fluid nature of the sculptures was inspired by the sails of a ship, and the layers and creases created by the wind in an attempt to replicate the volume three dimensionally. This want to create a flowing, rippled effect is contradicted by the sculptures construction, as Shonibare chose to create these sculptures in fibre glass, a material known for its brittle nature. However the basis of the sculptures was created by blowing wind into fabrics and then photographing them, therefore reinforcing the fact the shapes were created by nature. When viewing these pieces I firstly inspired by the placement of them, as the bright colours and grand temperament of the sculptures contrasted with the plain, natural surroundings, and emphasized the detail of the patterns. I also liked how Shonibare created body and layers to the pieces, which is something I want to take into my own garments I am creating based on Shonibare's work as I think I could attmept to re-create a silhouette that uses fluid lines and through movement creates volume and definition.   

No comments:

Post a Comment